Setup the Windows VPN client
- Install openvpn package to client’s machine. If the client machine already have TAP adatpor, you can download the client from www.openvpn.se. If you are not sure, simply install the openvpn full package to client’s machine (full package from openvpn.net includes both OpenVPN client and tap adaptor)
- Execute the installer.
- Create a file, copy/paste the lines below and save to Program FilesOpenVPNconfig[Client ID].ovpn, modify the values to match your own setupIf your [Client ID] is client1, save it as client1.ovpn
## refer to server section for brief description... client dev tun proto udp remote <ddns domain name of ds207+> 1194 resolv-retry infinite nobind persist-key persist-tun ca ca.crt ## replace [Client ID] with your value cert [Client ID].crt key [Client ID].key ns-cert-type server tls-auth ta.key 1 cipher BF-CBC comp-lzo verb 5
- copy following files from ds207+ to Program FilesOpenVPNconfig
- Run the VPN client, right click the icon in taskbar and then click connect!!
If successful, the client will be assigned a virtual subnet ip address 192.168.30.6! For the VPN server, it will be assigned as 192.168.30.1. So I can access my ds207+ as either 192.168.30.1 or 192.168.10.5!
Most importantly, I can access my files though explorer without exposing my samba port to the internet 😉
Update: Jun 11 2009
After one or two months usage, windows XP vpn client experienced some error messages and no longer able to allow me connect to remote LAN. Here is the error messages from the client log
Warning: route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters: ???.???.???.???
That should be related to the known windows xp issue.
I’ve googled the solution, simply login as administrator, open a command window and execute the following command:
C:> netsh int ip reset logfile.txt
Update: Jul 01 2009
Something need to be done in order to have vpn client working on vista.
- Run openvpn gui as administrator
- Using the Openvpn version 2.1.x RC instead of version 2.0.x
- Add following lines to the configuration file, i.e. client.ovpn
route-method exe mssfix 1200 route-delay 2