This guide is about how to use your own domain name with your Synology NAS, using free dynamic DNS services.
Own domain name means Top level Domain (TLD) like [your own name].com you get from a paid registrar, not those secondary level domain you received from free provider like ray.dyndns.org/ray.no-ip.com/ray.co.cc.
In addition, this article also described how to setup Google Apps for your domain name as well.
Step 1 – Firstly, you need to register your own domain name if you do not already have one
Step 2 – We need a DNS hosting company which support dynamic IP update. For paid service, you can pick something like dyndns or no-ip. For free services, I’m using afraid.org which is as good as paid services. Create an account from afraid.org
Step 3 – Once we created a DNS hosting account, modify the name server of the domain name. We would like to let the DNS provider hosting our DNS records instead of using the name servers provided by registrar. (because most registrar do not allow dynamic IP update)
Below is godaddy example about how to change name server for your domain name.
- Login godaddy at www.godaddy.com
- Click ‘Domain Manager‘ from the navigation menu.
- In Domain Manager page, click the domain name you wanna change
- Once a domain name is clicked, click ‘Nameservers‘ icon. A popup window inside the page will appear.
- Select ‘I host my domains with another provider.‘, and input the name servers of the DDNS providers.
Procedures from other registrar is different from godaddy, but should be similar.