This article records all my steps to install disk station with new hard disk and procedures of bootstrapping the box.
Installing Disk Station
My hard disk is WD2003FYYS-02W0B.
Firware: DSM 3.1-1613 (claimed to be the last firmware available for 207 model.)
- Downlod Synology Assistant and latest firmware 3.1-1613 from synology.com
- Install Synology Assistant on PC
- Insert the new hard disk to Diskstation and power on
- Connect the DiskStation to the PC directly using LAN cable, not via router
- Change the IP address of the PC to 169.254.116.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
- Run Synology Assistant to install the firmware to the new drive. Select DSM_DS207+_1613.pat from firmware option.
- Once setup completed, the DSM can be accessed by web browser using URL below:
(noted: I’m not sure if Syno Assistant assigned the same IP 169.254.116.94 to the diskstation for every setup. It might be changed for your case.)
- Setup the new hard disk from Storage Manager.
Storage Manager > Volume
Click ‘Create’ button to create a new volume.
Boostrapping the box
- Make sure the DS is connected to internet.
- Telnet to DS and login as root. Password is same as admin. If telnet cannot connected to the DS, try turn off the firewall first.
- Change directory to any smb share, for example, the public share
# cd /volume1/public
- Download the bootstrap script as below
# wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/syno-x07/cross/unstable/syno-x07-bootstrap_1.2-7_arm.xsh
- Start bootstrapping
# sh syno-x07-bootstrap_1.2-7_arm.xsh
- Add the following line to ipkg.conf, BEFORE the line ‘DEST root /’.
src packages http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/syno-x07/cross/unstable/
ipkg will NOT work if the line above is placed after ‘DEST root /’
- Update ipkg list
# ipkg update